Surly Rim Strips have one job and they do it well. They cover the cutouts in your rim and — if you're running a tube — they protect it from spoke heads and other sharp matter (okay, so maybe they have TWO jobs but they do them both really well.) Rim strips are crucial and should be used with all Surly rims. Ours come in an array of colors so you can really "express yourself."
Surly Rim strips are available in two different materials: PVC and Nylon. PVC is great if you plan on only running tubes. However, if there's any part of you that wants to try this tubeless thing you've been hearing about, Nylon strips are just the ticket. They're thinner and offer minimal stretch so they stay put and lay nicely inside the rim to provide a secure seal. Plus, they're lighter which we all know means you'll go faster… maybe.
Surly Thru-Axles are low-profile, bolted Thru-Axles are specifically designed for use with Surly thru-axle compatible frames. Offered in several sizes, for both front and rear wheels.
12x142 Rear Thru Axle:
- Fits: Midnight Special and MDS Dropout bikes including Instigator, Legacy Karate Monkey & Legacy Krampus.
12x142/148 Rear Thru Axle:
- Designed for frames with Surly Gnot Boost spacing (145mm), capable of working with 142 or 148mm rear hubs
- Fits: Karate Monkey, Krampus, Troll, Ogre, ECR
12x177 Rear Thru Axle:
- Fits: Wednesday
12x197 Rear Thru Axle:
- Fits: Ice Cream Truck, Big Fat Dummy
12x100 Front Thru Axle:
- Fits: Midnight Special
15x110 Front Thru Axle:
- Fits: Karate Monkey, Krampus
15x150 Front Thru Axle:
- Fits: Wednesday, Ice Cream Truck, Big Fat Dummy
Surly's low-profile, bolted Thru-Axles are specifically designed for use with Surly thru-axle compatible frames.
Not sure which one fits your bike? Get in touch, and we'll ensure you're choosing the correct axle for your application.
Surly Ultra New Axle Kits are for upgrading the internals of your existing Surly New hubs or replacing the internals on your Surly Ultra New hubs.
-Compatible with Surly New hubs (upgrade kit) and Surly Ultra New hubs (replacement kit)
- Each kit contains an axle, two 6901 cartridge bearings, two aluminum dust shields, two stainless steel cones, two stainless steel 6x1mm bolts, and two stainless steel bolt washers
- Axle is quick release and bolt-on compatible; bolts included, QR is NOT included
- Standard Surly New hubs come stock with 7901 bearings; this kit uses 6901 bearings which are non-angular
This is our Excellent Adventure Thru-Axle. It upgrades your bike's rear end for hauling cargo trailers, should you feel like taking Rufus along on your errands. Extensive product testing with our Bill and Ted Trailers provided an "awesome experience," but time travel remains a risky endeavor.
Designed for use with slotted horizontal or vertical single-position dropouts, the Excellent Adventure Axle is compatible only with 12 x 148mm hubs.
Compatible Surly models include Skid Loader, our compact electric cargo bike, as well as Karate Monkey, Krampus, Grappler, Ogre, Lowside, ECR, and Troll. Once again, the 12 x 148mm hub requirement cannot be overstated. Visit your local Surly dealer to discuss other scenarios you may have in mind.
- 12 x 148mm hub compatibility only
- Designed for use only with Surly's Bill and Ted Trailers
- Works with slotted horizontal or vertical single-position dropouts